Saturday, 18 January 2014

Object Oriented Programming?!

Hello, world! 

It's been two weeks since the first CSC148 lecture, and so far I really enjoy this course.

In fact, I was pretty worried before the course started, because I took CSC108 last winter and I didn't really use Python after last April. However, I stopped worrying after the first week, especially after taking the "ramp-up". Luckily, I still obtain the ability to use Python, though there're things which I've forgotten or I haven't seen before, like "Wing".

The main topic for first two weeks' lectures is "Object-oriented Programming". I have to say, this topic is very interesting and I really like it. For me, a game  player, object-oriented programming is like a great new game, and it feels awesome when my code works and actually solves some real problems. But, on the other hand, I did meet some problems when I was doing the first lab questions. Since it's objected-oriented programming, it requires us to manage everything. It's hard to give the overall structure or the big picture of the code, and decision-making did take us (my lab partner and I) a lot of time. However, it feels so great when we finally solved the problems. Also the lab is a good preparation for exercise 1. I did the exercise 1 after the lab, and since I got enough preparation from lab 1, it didn't take a long time to finish exercise 1.

I am also doing mathematics and statistics, I found that object-oriented programing very useful for my other courses. It's a very useful tool in solving mathematics questions, because as long as you know the way to solve the question, you can translate it into codes and then the computer will help you get the answer, which means that you can leave the tedious calculation to the computer and save a lot of time. Also, it helped me learn that how to interpret and solve real world questions. Although I have not tried to apply what I've learned in 148 to my study in statistics and mathematics, I can tell that it would be a very helpful tool in data processing and real world question solving. 

So far I really like this course and enjoy learning, and everything is good. 



No comments:

Post a Comment